Saturday, June 28, 2008

Who Knew?


So a couple of weeks ago I started reading Born on a Blue Day (which, by the way, is fabulous) and I kept telling Andrew about it. He got interested and wanted to read the book himself. My good friend Jen happened to have the book on CD that she had checked out from the library and said that Andrew could borrow it. So all last week Andrew listened to the book while commuting to and from work. The day he finished the book we had the following conversation.

Andrew: I really liked listening to that book. I wonder if they have other books on CD.

Jenn: WHAT?!!! Most books are available on CD.

Andrew: Really? Where can you get them?

Jenn: Oh I don't know, a little place called the LIBRARY.

Andrew: Oh. How much does it cost to rent them?

Jenn: Nothing. It's a library. Did you actually think I was paying to check out all the books I was reading from library?

Seriously, I was in shock. How did Andrew miss out on the library concept? I mean, he is usually reading something. I guess all of the books he's read over the years have been loaned or given to him or he's purchased them from the store. Now I have a great idea for a family outing! Maybe Andrew could even get his very own library card! My book club was terribly entertained by this story as regular patrons of the local library. Thank you for the laughs Andrew!

7 comments:

Kelli said...

Should I be embarrassed that this is my brother? What a happy thing for him to discover this late in life!

N8 said...

In Andrew's defense, as part of the ruling class of the drunken jockocracy that is high school he didn't have a lot of time for your precious "books".

Melissa said...

Yea! New posts at last!
I am glad Andrew has discovered the library! And he is probably happy to realize that your hobby is quite inexpensive.
I love your summer post. The picture of your dad with Sam is precious!
I hear you about the sunburn. I always get burned my first day out in the summer. Never my legs though. If you remember, they stay white all year round no matter what.

Brenny said...

Such a great story. Too funny. Darren and I talked about it again on our way home. He doesn't have a library card either and I'm not sure he has ever even been in our local library. He's driven by so I can run in and return a book, but he's never gone inside himself. I blame the library for never having sporting events for him to watch while he is there...

It was great to see you guys this weekend! And I HAD read your last post, I remembered when I saw the pictures of Sam and your dad, which I still think is one of the neatest pictures.

Moose Spot said...

My son wanted me to mention that if everything you make is disgusting...then Sam is disgusting! Pretty clever kid I have, huh? ;) We don't really feel that way about you Sam...

Moose Spot said...

My son wanted me to mention that if everything you make is disgusting...then Sam is disgusting! Pretty clever kid I have, huh? ;) We don't really feel that way about you Sam...

Haley and Mitch said...

That's funny Jenn - I sometimes wonder if Mitch knew that a library outside of BYU existed. We spend a fortune at Barnes & Noble or on Amazon on books that he hasn't even read yet. Either he's trying to be just like Andrew (which wouldn't surprise me) or it's genetic! Maybe we should ask Sarah if she's run into this discovery with Brad!