Saturday, May 3, 2008

Things That Make You Go Hmm...

It's been awhile since my last update. Mostly this is the result of very few noteworthy events. Nonetheless, here are the pathetic highlights.

1. I decided to move my kids rooms around and paint one of them. I decided this around noon and by 12:30 there was a mattress in the hallway, the rest of the bed in my room, and I was bust priming the walls. Andrew just loves to come home and "discover" that I have to decided to embark on a new project. So about ten minutes before he got home I called to say, "By the way if you're wondering why the house smells of paint and Sam's things are strewn down the hallway, I decided it was time for a change." Andrew's response: Great. (Notice the lack of an exclamation mark). You see, Andrew is aware that I am very good at planning and beginning projects, it's the finishing that's a challenge. This is typically where Andrew steps in. But I told him not to worry. I was going to do this one by myself. And I'm proud to say that I did. Unfortunately, this included FOUR coats of primer. (I just HAD to paint that 12 inch navy blue stripe around the room didn't I?) Then it was two coats of paint. Then I dismantled the crib, moved it five whole feet to the next room and got to put it back together again. Why do things that are seemingly so simple become so complex? Of course, now that that project is done I have a few ideas for the yard. We'll see what I "decide" to do!

2. It snowed. Yes SNOW! On May 1st. Something about that is just wrong. The night before I was wearing capris at Sam's T-ball game. This did, however, deter any landscaping plans. Well, at least for the day.

3. When everyone you know is saying "You're going to have your hands full with that girl" it's a bit concerning. I try to tell myself it's just a three-year-old thing. But I'm not so sure. Recently at church Lauren agreed to share some pages out of her coloring book with the girls behind her that had staring at her book wishfully. I was really proud of Lauren for agreeing and happily volunteering her crayons as well. I thought: My kid isn't so bad. Look how sweet she's being. That's where the thought ended. As soon as sacrament meeting ended she began declaring that she needed her pages back. (She, of course, was saying this quite loudly. She has no concept of a quiet voice. This, however, is not her fault. It's an inherited genetic disorder. I too am plagued with Loud Voice Syndrome. Others affected include my father and grandfather. Who knows how far back this goes.) Anyways, conversation as follows. Me: We gave those away and you have a whole book full of coloring pages. Lauren: No! I want them back! Me: But Lauren, we are sharing. Lauren: I don't like to share! Me: But Lauren , do you know who is so happy when we share? Jesus is happy when we share. (I thought this was the clincher. Jesus trumps everything). Lauren: Well Mom, Jesus isn't here! (Remember the syndrome.) So I have come this conclusion: I am going to have my hands full with this girl.

4. Yesterday was a banner day for me. My friends Jen and Traci and I have been working out together in the mornings. We've been following an exercise program created by Jillian Michaels, the trainer on The Biggest Loser. You will soon discover that I am the biggest loser. So Traci arrived first and we were trying to get things set before Jen showed up. In the first circuit there is an exercise with a resistance band where you pull down and back. So we're trying figure how to attach the band up high enough to do the exercise. On Jillian's "Hints" it suggested using the door jamb. Traci had a great idea though. We could use a wreath hook. She ran home to grab hers. While she was gone I decided to that I could come up with a solution as well. Hey I've got two hands and a brain, right? My thinking went something like this: Door jamb, interesting . Maybe if I just wrap it over the door like so. That looks good. I should give it a try. One rep, pretty good, second rep, WHACK! Holy crap! My face is on fire! I'm blind! I'm horribly disfigured! Breathe. Thank goodness Traci isn't here! I should look at the damage. Hmm surprisingly minimal, aside from the white strip across my forehead. Is that the door I hear? Play it cool. When Traci got back she said, "I couldn't find my hook. Maybe we could put the band over the door." My response, "I don't think that'll work very well."

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Can you come to my house to paint? I desperately need to, but have no motivation!
You guys are intense work-outers to set up circuits every time you work out! If it takes more than putting on running shoes or rolling out a yoga mat I am out! You should write to Jillian and tell her to think of better hints!
I remember when it snowed on Cinci de Mayo in Ut. That is why I now live in Cali, where they really now how to celebrate Mexican holidays!

Kelli said...

I can't wait to see the welt on your forehead! Take a picture before it fades. You made me laugh very hard!

Brenny said...

Great stories! The last two especially made me laugh.

So, are you going to take pictures of your paint job? I'm always interested to see what projects people do.

N8 said...

It doesn't hurt here or here so much but right here

Jacqui said...

Ya, I totally want to see the paint job too. A blue stripe? I can't picture it...